MAYOR KEVIN L. FAULCONER
CITY OF SAN DIEGO FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, July 2, 2014
CONTACT: Matt Awbrey at (619) 453-9913 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Over The Line to Continue 61-Year Tradition City approves permit for the celebrated beach tournament with same rules as past years
San Diego, CA – Today Mayor Kevin L. Faulconer, City Attorney Jan Goldsmith and other City of San Diego leaders joined the Old Mission Beach Athletic Club (OMBAC) to announce that Over The Line – one of San Diego’s most celebrated traditions – will hold its 61st annual tournament with the same special event rules and regulations as in past years. The tournament is scheduled for the weekends of July 12-13 and July 19-20 on Fiesta Island.
Mayor Faulconer said: “For the past six decades, Over The Line has become part of the fabric of San Diego. This announcement means thousands of San Diegans and visitors from across the world will be playing Over The Line on the sands of Fiesta Island just like they have since 1954.”
The annual Over The Line tournament was the target of a lawsuit last year that nearly resulted in its cancellation. The threat of litigation loomed over this year’s event as well. As a result, OMBAC – the event organizers – had planned for a modified event this year with additional restrictions on alcohol sales. However, OMBAC revised the application to reflect its traditional operations. The City approved the revised permit application earlier this week.
City Attorney Goldsmith said: “Over The Line is a San Diego tradition that the City welcomes. There was no legal basis for last year’s lawsuit seeking to cancel OTL and we are prepared to defend the City’s permission for the event, again, if necessary.”
Additionally, the City will explore a change in policy to expand access to other comparable special events taking place on Fiesta Island.
OMBAC representative Jeff Johnson said: “On behalf of the 440 members of the Old Mission Beach Athletic Club and the 1,200 Over The Line teams and fans, I would like to thank Mayor Faulconer, City Attorney Goldsmith, Chief Zimmerman, our City Council and the citizens of San Diego for all of their support in the past, present and future. OMBAC is grateful that a fair and reasonable solution was found to preserve the 61-year tradition that Over The Line is to the citizens of San Diego.”
Councilmember Ed Harris said: “Granting this special event permit to OMBAC was the right thing to do. OTL has been a San Diego tradition for 60 years and I am pleased the spirit of the event will go unchanged this year.”
Councilmember Lorie Zapf said: “I am pleased the City is allowing the tradition of OTL to continue for the 61st year of this event. As the newly elected Councilmember for Fiesta Island, I plan on working with City staff and the City Attorney’s office to revise the special events policy for Fiesta Island to allow similar special events to go forward there.”
Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman said: “The San Diego Police Department has had a long standing, collaborative and successful relationship with OMBAC. We appreciate everything OMBAC has done to ensure the Over The Line tournament is enjoyable and safe for all.”